Test your Grow
If you’re ever concerned about the measurements your Hatch Baby Grow is giving you, we recommend that you test it by weighing a two-liter bottle of a Coca-Cola product (Coke, Diet Coke, or Sprite).
Here’s what to do:
- Fire up your Hatch Baby app. Tap the Grow icon in the upper right-hand corner.
- Let the scale zero out by tapping “Zero” in the upper corner of the app, then place your two-liter bottle on Grow.
- Tap “Record Weight” and note the weight. Take the two-liter bottle off your Grow.
- Tap the Grow icon again (the app will take you back to the home screen after your first weight).
- Zero out your scale and weigh your bottle again!
- If the weights match, you’re good to Grow! (Thanks! You’ve just sent helpful diagnostic info about your Grow to our team!).
How did we come up with this test?
It’s amazing how much variability there is between the weights of common household objects. We tested nearly every object we could think of (really!), and found that even amongst items you’d guess would be consistent (say, hand weights), there are significant discrepancies in weight.
Which brings us to the two-liter bottle of Coke. Of all the common, affordable products we measured, we found that this one, while not exactly consistent, was more consistent than other products. We measured over 20 two-liter bottles of Coke, Diet Coke, and Sprite, and found that there is some slight variance between any given bottle, based on the plant in which the bottle was manufactured and even between any two fresh bottles (evaporation happens fast and a bottle that’s been sitting around for just a few months will lose some mass). What we expect to see is:
- Diet Coke weighs in from 4lb 8.7oz to 4lb 9.2oz
- Coke clocks in from 4lb 11.66oz to 4lb 12.25oz
- Sprite tips the scales from 4lb 11.98oz to 4lb 12.33oz
If your Grow is showing that your two-liter bottle of Coca-Cola beverage is in this range, you can rest assured that all is well in the weighing world.